I write technical documentation, articles, books and user manuals. I also create instructional videos, illustrations and UX design. I have extensive experience working with expert and non-technical audiences. Leveraging my own technical background, I delight in learning from experts so I can share their knowledge.
This is one of a series of Owner's Manuals I wrote for Lionel Trains. It describes an IoT module which connects a user's smart device to their model train layout. I wrote the text, took the photographs and created all illustrations. Click here to see inside. This document was structured to allow for easy-reusability when creating manuals for the rest of the product line.
I wrote, narrated, shot and edited this installation video for an IoT module which connects a user's smart device to their model train layout.
DITA Structured Writing Sample
Click here for a sample of my DITA work, including the original linear text and my DITA output in HTML5 and PDF formats.
Workplace Safety Article
Click here for a thoroughly-researched life-safety magazine article for professional readers.
I wrote the copy, did the illustrations and photography and web authoring for this customer-facing section of Lionel's Model Train's Website.
Here's an in-App help system I created for an iPad App. It is a collection of HTML files styled using RapidWeaver. This content can be accessed in a context-sensitive manner from directly within the App, or viewed via the Web as shown here.
Code & Technical Skills
I enjoy working in highly technical environments. From Unix system administration, design automation and applications engineer positions up to Director-level roles, I am quick to grasp system concepts and I excel at translating between technical and non-technical users.
Some of my skills include:
- Managed a third-party developer program. Evangelized, signed up developers, generated technical documentation, answered their questions or passed them on to our programming staff when necessary.
- Familiar with the iOS XCode development environment: modify code, compile, upload to App Store and manage release process.
- Apple App Store and iTunes store management and administration.
- HTML and XML and Markdown editing.
- Batch processing of large file sets.
- Extensive BASH shell scripting experience.
- Python programming.
- C code, read, modify and compile.
- Programming skills for SONIX 36k sound chip integrated circuit family.
- Unix command line/OS X terminal Window.
- PIC micro-controller/MPLAB development environment. Modify C code, compile, use emulator/hardware programmer.
- Raspberry Pi media server and samba server setup and administration.
- Acoustical measurements of loudspeaker and enclosures.
- Basic electronics tech, soldering, read schematic diagrams, trouble-shooting.
- Click here for more about my related technical skills.
References available on request!